[R] Unexpected behavior of apply() over a 3d array

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 21:51:41 CEST 2006

Read ?apply carefullly.    If FUN returns as a scalar as it does here
then the result dimensions are dim(X)[MARGIN]. For example,

apply(X, 1, max) has three components which are
max(X[1,,]), max(X[2,,]) and max(X[3,,])

and apply(X, 3, max) has three components which are
max(X[,,1]), max(X[,,2]) and max(X[,,3])

Also try apply(X, 1:2, max), etc.