[R] transforming factor back to numbers

Rainer M Krug rkrug at sun.ac.za
Thu Sep 21 11:55:11 CEST 2006

Hi

I generate a new dataframe by doing:

npl.agg <- aggregate(npl$DensPlants, list(year=npl$year, sim=npl$sim),
mean, na.rm=TRUE )

Now I want to plot it by using

coplot(npl.agg$x ~ npl.agg$year | npl.agg$sim, type="l")

but, as npl.agg$year is seen as a factor, the order of the points on the
x-axis (time axis) does not follow the numerical sorting 1...100, but
rather the text sorting of the factor npl.agg$year

Is there any way that I can 'defactor' npl.agg$year so that I have again
the numerical values for year?

Thanks

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug, Dipl. Phys. (Germany), MSc Conservation
Biology (UCT)

Department of Conservation Ecology and Entomology
University of Stellenbosch
Matieland 7602
South Africa

Tel:		+27 - (0)72 808 2975 (w)