[R] Propensity score and three treatments

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Sep 22 13:59:17 CEST 2006

Giovanni Parrinello wrote:
> Dear All,
> I would like to find something ( references, code,..)  to implement a
> comparison of three
> treatments in an observational study using the 'Propensity Score'.
> Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
> Giovanni

@Article{tch05use,
   author =               {Tchernis, Rusty and {Horvitz-Lennon}, Marcela and
Normand, {Sharon-Lise} T.},
   title =                {On the use of discrete choice models for
causal infere
nce},
   journal =      Stat in Med,
   year =                 2005,
   volume =               24,
   pages =                {2197-2212},
   annote =               {causal inference;discrete choice models;matching
estimator;multi-valued treatment propensity model using discrete
choice model}
}

In one application I created 2 propensity scores and adjusted for those
using spline functions of the logits.  See

@ARTICLE{mar94con,
   author = {Mark, D. B. and Nelson, C. L. and Califf, R. M. and
Harrell, F. E.
            and Lee, K. L. and Jones, R. H. and Fortin, D. F. and Stack,
R. S.
            and Glower, D. D. and Smith, L. R. and {DeLong}, E. R. and
Smith,
            P. K. and Reves, J. G. and Jollis, J. G. and Tcheng, J. E. and
            Muhlbaier, L. H. and Lowe, J. E. and Phillips, H. R. and
Pryor, D.
            B.},
   year = 1994,
   title = {The continuing evolution of therapy for coronary artery disease:
           {Initial} results from the era of coronary angioplasty},
   journal = {Circulation},
   volume = 89,
   pages = {2015-2025},
   annote = {CABG; PTCA; propensity; observational study; Cox model
            applications; adjusted survival curves;two propensity
   scores for three treatments}
}

I have many annotated rreferences about propensity scores in my
bibliographic database - see the bottom of biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/rms