[R] Initialising Mersenne-Twister with one integer

Gad Abraham g.abraham at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Sep 25 10:32:58 CEST 2006

Hi,

It seems to me that the Mersenne-Twister PRNG can be initialised using
one integer instead of 624 integers, since inside RNG.c code there's a
function defined as MT_sgenrand(Int32).

How do I actually set this seed within R?

I've tried:

 > .Random.seed <- c(3, 1)
 > runif(1)
Error in runif(1) : .Random.seed has wrong length

In addition, is '3' actually the correct rng.kind for the Mersenne-Twister?

I'm using R version 2.2.1, 2005-12-20 on Ubuntu Dapper Linux 686.

Thanks,
Gad

--
Gad Abraham