[R] New project: littler for GNU R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Sep 27 13:17:03 CEST 2006

Jeffrey Horner wrote:
> Seth Falcon wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey Horner <jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu> writes:
>>

> [...]
>

>>> littler will install into /usr/local/bin by default, so I don't think
>>> there's a clash with the Mac binary provided by CRAN, right?
>>>
>> It depends what you mean by clash :-)
>>
>> If both are on the PATH, then you get the first one, I suspect, when
>> running either 'R' or 'r'.  I haven't tested this bit yet, but on my
>> OS X laptop I can invoke a new R session using either 'R' or 'r'
>> (using an R built from source, not the R GUI app thingie).
>>

> Good point, but the executable path can be named absolutely in hash-bang
> scripts. Relative paths work as well with the use of '/usr/bin/env
> program' as is described in the littler announcement, but then you don't
> get to pass arguments to 'program', just to the hash-bang script.
>

>> So IMO, a different name or an integration into the R script in some
>> way would be a big improvement.
>>

> But I'd like to know why there's an R script in the first place. Why not
> just an executable as on windows?

There need to be (at least) two separate executables:  on Windows they
are R.exe which invokes Rterm.exe. The reason for this is that "R CMD
foo" invokes the script foo, it doesn't run Rterm at all.  On
Unix-alikes the first is a script rather than an exe.

The reason the first is a script on Unix is that whoever wrote it
preferred the sh script language to C for handling the things it needs
to do, but that's not generally available in Windows, so we were stuck
with C.

Duncan Murdoch