[R] What is wrong with this input

David Kaplan dkaplan at education.wisc.edu
Fri Sep 29 06:16:23 CEST 2006

I can't seem to figure out why I'm getting this error.  The output is
copied right off the screen.  Notice how in some cases the back slash is
missing.  In other cases, it can't read a file that I know is there.

Thanks in advance

 > library(foreign)
 > hrout <- read.spss("c:\\hrab200.sav")
Error in read.spss("c:\\hrab200.sav") : unable to open file
 > library(foreign)
 > hrout <- read.spss("C:\Documents and Settings\David Kaplan\My
Documents\Baseball\Baseball Research\hr time series paper\new time
series hr paper\hrab200.sav")
Error in read.spss("C:Documents and SettingsDavid KaplanMy
DocumentsBaseballBaseball Researchhr time series paper\new time series
hr paperhrab200.sav") :
         unable to open file
 > library(foreign)
 > hrout <- read.spss("C:\Documents and Settings\David Kaplan\My
Documents\hrab200.sav"}
Error: syntax error in "hrout <- read.spss("C:\Documents and
Settings\David Kaplan\My Documents\hrab200.sav"}"
 > hrout <-read.spss("C:\\Documents and Settings\David Kaplan\My
Documents\hrab200.sav")
Error in read.spss("C:\\Documents and SettingsDavid KaplanMy
Documentshrab200.sav") :
         unable to open file

David Kaplan, Ph.D.
Professor