[R] Build error on Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Sep 29 17:00:51 CEST 2006

On 9/29/2006 8:53 AM, Pankaj Savdekar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build R-2.3.1 on windows, but make gives me following error
> while building pkg-base:
> ---------- Making package base ------------
>   adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
> make[4]: *** [frontmatter] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: *** [pkg-base] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [rpackage] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Please note that R.exe, Rterm.exe, Rgui.exe, RCmd.exe are build without any
> errors.
>
> I have three questions, can anyone please help me to resolve it?
> 1. How to solve (or get more details) of the above mentioned error?

You need to look through the make files, to see what was happening.
Reading the messages in reverse order:  "make all" called "make
rpackage" and so on to "make frontmatter".  The errors don't tell you
which makefiles these are in, but the "frontmatter" target only occurs
in src/gnuwin32/MakePkg.  You could try deleting the "@" signs from the
lines for that target to see exactly what was happening when the error
was generated.

I'd guess that this is happening because your build is messed up:  the
base package is used in later build steps.  If you start from a clean
checkout and just call "make", you probably won't see this.

> 2. When I run Rterm.exe it takes 25-30% CPU time, but doesn't provide me the
> command prompt, is there anyway to log/trace, to know the issues in Rterm?
> 3. Despite error mentioned above (Frontmatter) I tried building other
> packages and was able to build few. But still RGui.exe shows warning saying
> there is no package called 'datasets', 'utils' etc. Can someone please point
> me how to resolve this issue?

Probably the same cause.  base is messed up, and that's going to cause
all sorts of trouble.

Duncan Murdoch