[R] partial R

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Apr 2 16:20:17 CEST 2007

Dear Michael and Pedram,

I'm afraid that Pedram's question is unclear, since the subject line refers
to "partial R" (which might have been intended as "partial r," or "partial
correlation"), while the message itself refers to "partial regression
coefficients."

The latter are simply the coefficients returned by lm(); there is a
partial.cor() function in the Rcmdr package that computes partial
correlations. It's so simple, that I'll just reproduce it here:

partial.cor <-
function (X, ...)
{
    R <- cor(X, ...)
    RI <- solve(R)
    D <- 1/sqrt(diag(RI))
    R <- -RI * (D %o% D)
    diag(R) <- 0
    rownames(R) <- colnames(R) <- colnames(X)
}

cr.plots() in the car package produces partial-residual plots
("component+residual plots") but returns neither partial correlations nor
partial-regression coefficients.

Regards,
 John

John Fox