[R] Q

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 10:05:29 CEST 2007

The problem is that relatively few DBMSes come even close to conformance
with SQL (and Laurent Valdes did not tell us his DBMS even in his reply).

ANSI SQL says single quotes are used for literals, and double quotes for
identifiers (e.g. table and column names).

Literals are only relevant to RODBC in sqlSave(fast=FALSE) and
sqlUpdate(fast=FALSE), neither being the defaults.  In theory ODBC can
tell you the quoting characters for each data type, and it seems now all
the drivers I have access to are ODBC3, this works (it used not to).  Not
all drivers use single quote for all types, but in all cases I tried where
they use single quote for character strings, doubling it works.  So that
will be incorporated in RODBC 1.1-9.

There is less conformance for quoting identifiers.  MySQL uses backtick by
default (it can be run in ANSI_QUOTE mode), and some Microsoft drivers use
[...] for table names.  RODBC 1.1.9 makes these settable options, and
tries to select suitable defaults based on the DBMS name reported.

I will send RODBC_1.1-9 to CRAN shortly.  People testing R-2.5.0 alpha
under Windows will be able to get it now from CRANextras (a default
repository).