[R] approx with ties = 'ordered'

Vadim Ogranovich vograno at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 23:37:05 CEST 2007

Hi,

I am a bit surprised how approx resolves ties when ties = 'ordered'. In the
following two examples I'd expect the first expression to return 1 (not 2).

The documentation reads that "that 'f=0' is right-continuous and 'f=1' is
left-continuous" so one would expect  the argument to matter when resolving ties.

Thanks,
Vadim

->  approx(c(1,1), seq(2), 1, method = "const", rule = 2, f = 1, yleft = NA, ties
= "ordered")$y
[1] 2
->  approx(c(1,1), seq(2), 1, method = "const", rule = 2, f = 0, yleft = NA, ties
= "ordered")$y
[1] 2

-> version
               _
platform       i486-pc-linux-gnu
arch           i486
os             linux-gnu
system         i486, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          4.1
year           2006
month          12
day            18
svn rev        40228
language       R
version.string R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18)