[R] which points within an ellipsoid? Sorting data in 3d

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Tue Apr 3 17:55:22 CEST 2007

I don't understand how the x,y,z vectors define the ellipsoid, but one
approach would be:

Find a 3x3 matrix that represents the ellipsoid as a variance matrix
(some of the code in the ellipse package may be informative for this).

Subtract x.coord.point, y.coord.point, and z.coord.point from your data.

Post multiply the data (in an nx3 matrix) with the inverse of the
cholesky decomposition of the above variance matrix (this should convert
your data on the scale of the ellipsoid to be now based on the unit
sphere).

Find x^2+y^2+z^2 (where x,y,z are the transformed coordinates of your
points) which will be the distance of each point from 0, any values < 1
correspond to points originally within the ellipsoid, >1 outside the
ellipsoid.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.