[R] Testing additive nonparametric model

Donal O'Neill donal.oneill at nuim.ie
Tue Apr 3 18:38:58 CEST 2007

   Dear Vito,
   Thank you for your prompt reply. Perhaps I am missing something but as
   I  understand  it the procedure you suggest would allow me to test for
   nonlinearities  in  one of the control variables. However my objective
   is to nonparametrically test whether the nature of the nonlinearity in
   one  variable  is  constant across all values of a second conditioning
   variable.  That is I want to test y=f(x1,x2)+e against y=f1(x1)+f2(x2)
   + u
   I tried
   library(mgcv)
   mod.1<-gam(y~s(x1)+s(x2))
   mod.2<-loess(y~x1+x2, f=**, iter=**), lwd=**)
   anova(mod.1, mod.2)
   but got the following error message
   Error in s^2 : non-numeric argument to binary operator
   Any suggestions would be welcome.
   Donal.