[R] transition matrices

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Wed Apr 4 19:48:14 CEST 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 07:46:37 -0500 Ranjan Maitra <maitra at iastate.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It appears that you are trying to separate the states in the transition matrix such that you have recurrent classes all next to each other.

Sorry, I meant non-communicating classes. Btw, thinking about this some more, I think you can do this in a quick and dirty way: convert your transition probability matrix into 0 and 1 which is 0 if the entry is (+)ve. Then, make this into a distance matrix (using as.dist()), use hclust and single linkage and cut the tree at 1(?) to get the equivalence classes. The ordering of the tpm after this is easy.

HTH,
Ranjan