[R] reading of a matrix

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Thu Apr 5 13:01:42 CEST 2007

Hi

r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch napsal dne 05.04.2007 12:50:09:

> Dear R-experts,
>
> I still have problems with the reading of a matrix.
>
> Input: matrixData6.txt
>
> A-Paar B-Paar C-Paar D-Paar E-Paar
> A 1  3  5  7  9
> B 2  4  6  8 10
>

> R-commands:
> y=read.table(file="Z:/Software/R-Programme/matrixData6.txt")
>
> Result:
>   A.Paar B.Paar C.Paar D.Paar E.Paar
> A      1      3      5      7      9
> B      2      4      6      8     10
>

> If you look into the txt-file you can recognize that the column names
> are not the same. Why?
>
> If I add in the txt-file the line "MyData:" infront of all followed by a
> newline. The R-command as above response an error. How can I read the
> modified input and get the following result:
>
> MyData:
>
>    A.Paar B.Paar C.Paar D.Paar E.Paar
> A      1      3      5      7      9
> B      2      4      6      8     10

The only difference I can see is centering columns and Mydata: row. This
does not have anything with reading your data. You shall instead consult
how your data is printed on console by looking at ?print help page.
However I think that R itself is not the best tool for text formating.

> Another stupid question might be hows can I change the column and row
> names after I made "read.table"? I want to have the following result,
> for example:
>
> MyData:
>
>        G      H      I      J      K
> M      1      3      5      7      9
> N      2      4      6      8     10
>
> I studied all manuals I could find and the help but could not understand
> the examples or interpret it right for my case.

Did you by chance try
?names or ?rownames

Regards
Petr