[R] reading of a matrix

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Thu Apr 5 13:29:59 CEST 2007

On Apr 5, 2007, at 6:50 AM, Schmitt, Corinna wrote:

> Dear R-experts,
>
> I still have problems with the reading of a matrix.
>
> Input: matrixData6.txt
>
> A-Paar B-Paar C-Paar D-Paar E-Paar
> A 1  3  5  7  9
> B 2  4  6  8 10
>

> R-commands:
> y=read.table(file="Z:/Software/R-Programme/matrixData6.txt")
>
> Result:
>   A.Paar B.Paar C.Paar D.Paar E.Paar
> A      1      3      5      7      9
> B      2      4      6      8     10
>

> If you look into the txt-file you can recognize that the column names
> are not the same. Why?

Look at ?read.table for details, basically the variable names are
turned into syntactically valid names via make.names (?make.names).
This is, I pressume, so that you can later refer to them via: df
$A.Paar  (df$A-Paar means something very different). You can try to
add: check.names=FALSE to the read.table call, not sure it will do
what you want it to.

> If I add in the txt-file the line "MyData:" infront of all followed
> by a
> newline. The R-command as above response an error. How can I read the
> modified input and get the following result:

Hm, if you really want the MyData to show up in the result, then you
will have to do some more hard work, since data frames don't really
have a room for that. But if you simply want MyData: to show up in
the text file but not be read by R, then you would want to prepend
the line with the comment character, #.

> MyData:
>
>    A.Paar B.Paar C.Paar D.Paar E.Paar
> A      1      3      5      7      9
> B      2      4      6      8     10
>
> Another stupid question might be hows can I change the column and row
> names after I made "read.table"? I want to have the following result,
> for example:

names(yourdf) <- c("G","H","I","J","K")
or perhaps better:
names(yourdf) <- LETTERS[6+1:5]

That's for the columns. Use ?rownames for the rows.
> MyData:
>
>        G      H      I      J      K
> M      1      3      5      7      9
> N      2      4      6      8     10
>
> I studied all manuals I could find and the help but could not
> understand
> the examples or interpret it right for my case.
>
> Thanks for help,
>
> Corinna

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College