[R] Extent of time zone vulerability for POSIX date and time classes

Tim Bergsma timb at metrumrg.com
Thu Apr 5 15:46:38 CEST 2007

Hi.

I frequently convert date and time data to and from character
representations.  I'm frustrated with chron, because 'seconds' are
required to create a time object (my input data never has seconds).
More importantly, I cannot make chron print the format 12/30/2006 (which
my output data requires).

I really like the format flexibility of strftime() and strptime(), but
of course am paranoid about timezone issues.  After reading the standard
reference several times
(http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2004-1.pdf), I am tempted to
conclude that if I never specify timezones, and never use Sys.time(),
the vulnerabilities do not pertain.

To the point: if I'm merely converting to and from character data that
does not represent time zones, is there still a time zone vulnerability
with strftime() and strptime()?

Thanks in advance,

Tim Bergsma, PhD
Metrum Research Group, LLC