[R] binom.test() query

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Apr 6 00:08:41 CEST 2007

On 4/5/2007 5:35 PM, (Ted Harding) wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> The recent correspondence about "strange fisher.test result",
> and especially Peter Dalgaard's reply on Tue 03 April 2007
> (which I want to investigate further) led me to take a close
> look at the code for binom.test().
>
> I now have a query!
>
> The code for the two-sided case computes the p-value as follows:
>
>       if (p == 0) (x == 0)
>       else
>         if (p == 1) (x == n)
>         else {
>           relErr <- 1 + 1e-07
>           d <- dbinom(x, n, p)
>           m <- n * p
>           if (x == m) 1
>           else
> ## PVAL if x < m
>             if (x < m) {
>               i <- seq(from = ceiling(m), to = n)
>               y <- sum(dbinom(i, n, p) <= d * relErr)
>    ## here:
>               pbinom(x,n,p) + pbinom(n-y,n,p,lower=FALSE)
>             }
> ## PVAL if x > m:
>             else {
>               i <- seq(from = 0, to = floor(m))
>               y <- sum(dbinom(i, n, p) <= d * relErr)
>    ## here:
>               pbinom(y-1,n,p) + pbinom(x-1,n,p,lower=FALSE)
>             }
>           }
>         }
>
> The case "x < m" will do for my query (since it is the same
> for the case "x > m").
>
> If I understand the code correctly, when x (the observed binomial
> number) is less than m (its expected value on the null hypothesis
> being tested), then the p-value is the total probability in the
> lower tail, from 0 to x inclusive, plus a "bit".
>
> The "bit" is the probability in the upper tail of those value
> from (n-y) to n, where y is the number of values of i greater
> than or equal to (if m is an integer) m such that
>
>    dbinom(i,n,p) <= d*(1 + 1e-07) = dbinom(x,n,p)*(1 + 1e-07).
>
> or, in other words, ignoring the "1e-07", the values of i
> which have binomial probability (on the NH) less than or equal
> to the probability of x.
>
> So, for x < m = n*p, the lower-tail contribution to the p-value
> is the probability that X <= x, while the upper-tail contribution
> is the probability that (X >= m)&(dbinom(X,n,p) <= dbinom(x,n,p)).
>
> Now that is not so asymmetric as it looks, since for x < m = n*p
> the values of dbinom(i,n,p) decrease as i decreases for i < x,
> so in fact the left=hand tail is similarly the probability
> that (X <= m)&(dbinom(X,n,p) <= dbinom(x,n,p)). In effect, therefore,
> ignoring the "1e-07", we are simply calculating the probability
> of "dbinom(X,n,p) <= dbinom(x,n,p)" overall.
>
> But what is the purpose of the "1e-07"? I can see that it might
> cause a miscalculation if the real intention is to simply sum
> the probabilties dbinom(X,n,p) which are less than or equal to
> dbinom(x,n,p).

I think you're looking at the deparsed binom.test.  For tricky things
like this, it's sometimes worth looking at the source

(which in this case is in
https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/stats/R/binom.test.R)

and has the comment:

                            ## Do
                            ##   d <- dbinom(0 : n, n, p)
                            ##   sum(d[d <= dbinom(x, n, p)])
                            ## a bit more efficiently ...
                            ## Note that we need a little fuzz.

So I expect the answer to your question is that the 1e-7 is there to
avoid rounding error causing you to incorrectly leaving out an exactly
equal probability.

As to whether the difference in your example below matters, I'd say not.
  With discrete distributions you don't have a right to expect
continuous p-values, so having a decision go the wrong way in a manually
constructed nasty example is always going to be a possibility.  Exactly
equal probabilities will happen when p=0.5, and that's a more important
case to get right than p=0.3527785166.

Duncan Murdoch