[R] creating a data frame from a list

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Apr 6 01:44:33 CEST 2007

Dmitri:

As you apparently have not received a reply....

IMHO, one of the glories of R is the ease with which you can create de novo
solutions for little problems like this yourself. While there may be more
efficient,robust, and elegant solutions already available, it can frequently
be considerably more time consuming to find and figure them out, as you
appear to have experienced. (And once outside base R and standard packages,
documentation can be problematic).

Anyway, whether you agree with that propoganda or not, here is a little
function (no claim for elegance or efficiency!) that does what you want, I
think:

makeFrame<-function(xlist)
{
allnames <- sort(unique(unlist(sapply(xlist,names))))
data.frame(lapply(xlist,function(y,an)structure(y[match(an,names(y))],
names=NULL),
	an=allnames),row.names=allnames)
}

##test it