[R] Reasons to Use R

bogdan romocea br44114 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 15:47:11 CEST 2007

http://www.r-project.org/useR-2006/participants.html

> (2)Hardware requirements, possibly benchmarks

Since you mention huge data sets, GNU/Linux running on 64-bit machines
with as much RAM as your budget allows.

> (3)R & clusters, R & multiple CPU machines,
> R performance on different hardware.

OpenMosix, Quantian for clusters; the archive for multiple CPUs (this
was asked quite a few times). It may be best to measure R performance
on different hardware by yourself, using your own data and code.

> (4)finally, a list of the advantages for using R over
> commercial statistical packages.

I'd say it's not R vs. commercial packages, but S vs. the rest of the
world. Check http://www.insightful.com/ , much of what they say is
applicable to R. Make the case that S is vastly superior directly, not
just through a list of reasons: take a few data sets and show how they
can be analyzed with S compared to other choices. Both R and S-Plus
are likely to significantly outperform most other software, depending
on the kind of work that needs to be done.