[R] Labelling boxplot with fivenumber summary

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:02:14 CEST 2007

Here is one way of labeling the values:

# capture data returned by boxplot
x <- boxplot(count ~ spray, data = InsectSprays, col = "lightgray")
# plot each group
for (i in seq(ncol(x$stats))){
    text(i, x$stats[,i], labels=x$stats[,i])
}
# if there are outliers, plot them
if (length(x$out) > 0){
    # split the groups so you can get max/min
    maxmin <- split(x$out, x$group)
    # go through each group getting min/max
    lapply(names(maxmin), function(.grp){
        .range <- range(maxmin[[.grp]])
        text(as.numeric(.grp), .range, labels=.range)
    })
}