[R] Modified Sims test

Millo Giovanni Giovanni_Millo at Generali.com
Tue Apr 10 13:16:40 CEST 2007

Dear Chris,

I do not have the references here, but AFAIR:

if x and y are two time series, we say that "x does not Granger-cause y"
(x ngc y) if the models

(1) y~y(-1)+y(-2)+...+x(-1)+x(-2)+...

and

(2) y~y(-1)+y(-2)+...

are "equivalent", i.e. if past values of x "do not help explaining" y.
The Granger test is thus the exclusion test for the lagged x in (1) (see
?grangertest).

The Sims test, which is equivalent to the Granger test under certain
circumstances, substitutes (1) with

(3) y~x(-1)+x(-2)+...+x(+1)+x(+2)+...

We could well consider including this in lmtest one day: I'll speak to
the maintainer. For now, as the current grangertest.default() method is
based on waldtest() and lag(), which last works symmetrically, a quick
hack is straightforward. I am including it for your convenience, but
without any guarantee (my quick hacks don't usually work properly in the
first place).
I suggest you check the results by building up the two test models "by
hand" and comparing them through waldtest{lmtest}.

HTH
Giovanni