[R] Computational speed question

David Vonka D.Vonka at uvt.nl
Tue Apr 10 15:27:41 CEST 2007

Hello,

I'm doing bootstrap in R 2.4.1 in order to compute standard errors of an
estimator. I'm running the same program on 4 computers. The core of the
program is a nlm minimization of a function, which is (I believe) nicely
coded using (t)apply and all the vectorized stuff.

I'm slightly puzzled by the differences in the speed of computation. The
program works twice as fast on a two years old Celeron (256 MB, running
Ubuntu Dapper Linux) than on a P4 (1GB, Windows 2000 + Novell) and the
speed of that Celeron is comparable with an other P4 (1GB, Ubuntu Feisty
Linux). In general (outside R, text editing, whatever), the Celeron is
much slower than any of the two P4.

Is there any reason for this ? Is R better optimized for Linux ? Some
options I might have used when installing R on one of the Linuxes and
not on the other one ?

Thanks for an answer.

David Vonka