[R] read.spss (package foreign) and SPSS 15.0 files

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 6 08:38:13 CEST 2007

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Michael Conklin wrote:

> Not being the developer I cannot answer definitively but, as a frequent
> user of SPSS files I can give you my experience.
>
> 1) The unrecognized coding is perhaps due to the locale of the SPSS
> installation. I have had success reading in files from version 15 but
> often encounter that error when the file was created with data that
> included some foreign language. I often receive survey files that were
> administered in a non-English language and that is when I usually see
> the error.

That is what is surmised in this recent R-devel thread:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2007-April/045238.html

although it may also happen in an English locale (since after all Windows
uses codepage 1252, not ASCII, for American 'English').

The next release of package foreign will give a warning (rather than an
error) with an unrecognized encoding and recognize a few more.

> 2) My experience with the "Warning - unrecognized record type" message
> is that it has no effect whatsoever on the data file.
>
> 3) Others on the list have noted that you are safer exporting POR files
> instead of SAV files from SPSS. Both are read by the read.spss function.

The R Data Import/Export manual recommends an open format such as .csv.
(Look like John Kane has yet to read it ....)  R does have quite extensive
facilities for dealing with encodings in text files.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk