[R] sas.get problem

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Wed Apr 11 21:52:36 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 14:38 -0400, John Kane wrote:
> --- Cody_Hamilton at Edwards.com wrote:
>

> > John,
> >
> > Do you not have sas on your machine? (That would
> > definitely keep sas.get
> > from executing.)
> >
> > Regards,
> >    -Cody
>
> No I don't have SAS on my machine. Nobody in my group
> uses it and we seldom use SPSS. I think one person has
> STATA. Most of the work is more policy than data work
> and the occasional spreadsheet (shudder) does for
> basic work.
>
> I am too cheap to have us spend a huge amount (well,
> large amount anyway) for something that  I am likely
> to use for 5-10 minutes a year. The last time I wanted
> a SPSS file exported to "delimited" I just asked
> someone in another department whom I knew has it on
> his labtop to do it.
>
> I just hike across campus to the nearest lab with SAS,
> SPSS etc installed. Done occasionally and in decent
> weather it is not a problem. Today it is turning into
> a marathon but I need to lose some weight.

<snip>

John, I believe that this has been mentioned on the list previously, but
if you don't have convenient access to SAS, they do offer a free
download called the SAS System Viewer. It can read the proprietary SAS
datasets and then enable you to save them as ASCII delimited files.

It is available at the SAS web site here:

http://www.sas.com/apps/demosdownloads/sassystemviewer_PROD_9.1.3_sysdep.jsp?packageID=000313

There is also DBMS/Copy, which is by DataFlux (now a SAS subsidiary).
More information is here:

http://www.dataflux.com/Technology/Products/DBMS/

HTH,

Marc Schwartz