[R] User defined grid on map

Ray Brownrigg Ray.Brownrigg at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Apr 12 00:33:53 CEST 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Adriana Bejarano wrote:
> This may be a trivial question for some of you: Is there a way to add
> defined grid sizes on specific areas of a map?. I want to add 10kmx10km
> grids to all California coastal counties:
>
> "california,alameda", "california,contra costa", "california,del norte",
> "california,humboldt", "california,los angeles", "california,marin",
> "california,mendocino" ,"california,monterey", "california,napa",
> "california,orange", "california,riverside", "california,sacramento",
> "california,san benito", "california,san bernardino", "california,san
> diego" , "california,san francisco", "california,san joaquin",
> "california,san luis obispo", "california,san mateo", "california,santa
> barbara", "california,santa clara", "california,santa cruz",
> "california,siskiyou", "california,solano", "california,sonoma",
> "california,sutter", "california,trinity", "california,ventura",
> "california,yolo"

The mapproj package has a map.grid() function, but that only allows you to
specify latitude- and longitude-based grids.  I don't think it would be too
difficult to roll your own using standard trigonometry if you weren't too
worried about the non-sphericity of the earth.

Otherwise I guess there would be something 'out there' to provide you with
some conversion between lat/long and distance from a fixed point.

HTH,
Ray Brownrigg