[R] Windows Vista issues

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 14 07:57:28 CEST 2007

It seemed FUD [*] has been prevailing here and elsewhere on Vista security
features.

I asked our sysadmins to set up a Vista box for me on which I have access
to all levels of accounts.  Many of the issues I found were covered by
earlier answers and all in the upcoming rw-FAQ (currently available at
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/R/rw-FAQ.html and in the 2.5.0 pre-releases)
but a quick reprise may help.

Most of my testing was of 2.5.0 beta, but I did some quick tests of 2.4.1.

1) The R installer and uninstaller are from an 'unidentified publisher'
and you may have to agree that you trust them.  This is a problem of the
Inno Setup installer kit we use.  An ultra-cautious sysadmin could
configure Vista to stop you installing via such a program.

2) Permission problems:

If you install R as an ordinary user (into your own file space) you should
see no permissions problems.  (There would have been problems, including
under XP, with some recent daily binary builds as the installer kit had
changed one of its defaults to disallow non-administrator installs, but
these have been fixed.)

I also encountered no problems installing R under the Administrator
account (normally hidden) and installing packages under the same account.

Things are more complicated if you use an account which is in the local
administrator group (but is not Administrator itself).  Such accounts are
no longer (by default) equivalent to Administrator, and run programs as
ordinary user accounts. They need to 'Run as Administrator' to do things
in the system area such as C:\Program Files.  You will be asked if you
want to run as administrator if you try to install software such as R, but
you will not be asked if you try to install packages in the main R library
(since asking is something that applies to a program, not part of a
particular session).  One simple solution is to elevate your credentials
when running an R session to install packages in the same way that you
needed to when installing R.  (Unix and MacOS X users will recognize a
somewhat automated reincarnation of 'sudo'.)

It looks like the best practice will be to change the (full) ownership of
the R installation to the account used to install it, something which
would be standard practice in the Unix world.  Also, we are encouraging
people as from 2.5.0 to install packages into a site or personal library
where these permission issues should not arise (except when updating
recommended packages).

3) The most worrying problem is that Vista is reporting quite incorrectly
file permissions through the POSIX interfaces used by file.info() and
file.access(), and furthermore allowed me as a standard user to create
directories in areas over which it says I do not have write permission. We
will look further into possible solutions, but it seems the Win32 API
functions are giving the same answers.

Problems with 'access' (the C call underlying file.access()) mean that the
MinGW compilers do not currently run on Vista without a lot of
hoop-jumping.

[*] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk