[R] Windows Vista issues

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 14 15:44:28 CEST 2007

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, John Fox wrote:

> Dear Brian,
>
> I don't yet have a Vista machine, but it occurs to me that some of these
> problems might be avoided if R installed by default into c:\R rather than
> c:\Program Files\R. Is that the case?

If C:\R is not a system area, the first para of 2) applies: in fact I
tried installing into E:\R as an unprivileged user.  That's what I would
recommend a sole user of R to do (and have long done myself).  However,
if you are a sysadmin installing for many users of the machine, you will
want to install into a system area (or else a standard user is likely to
be able to uninstall R, for example).

My memory is that long ago the default for the R installer was c:\R, and
user pressure made us change it.  BTW, the default is only c:\Program
Files\R for an administrator account: for unprivileged users it is under
c:\Documents and Settings\<name> for XP and c:\Users\<name> for Vista.
We have some control in the installer script of these things, but have
chosen to take the defaults which give the most familiar experience to end
users.

The file access reporting issues were occurring in ordinary user space.

Brian