[R] Hotelling T-Squared vs Two-Factor Anova

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Sun Apr 15 10:03:14 CEST 2007

I take it all subjects are measured at the same time points, or
Hotelling's T^2 becomes rather messy.

The essential difference lies in the way the variance matrix is
modelled.  The usual repeated measures model would model the variance
matrix as equal variances and equal covariances, i.e. with two
parameters, (though you can vary this using, e.g. lme).  Hotelling's T^2
would model the variance matrix as a general symmetric matrix, i.e. for
the 4x4 case using 4+3+2+1 = 10 parameters.  If it is appropriate, the
repeated measures model is much more parsimonious.

Bill Venables.