[R] Does the smooth terms in GAM have a functional form?

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Mon Apr 16 10:58:39 CEST 2007

Which `gam' are you using? If it's mgcv::gam then all the smooth terms are
represented using a basis expansion, so it is possible to write down the
functional form used. The forms used are given in Chapter 4 of my book
(see ?gam for reference). It is also possible for `s' terms (but not `lo'
terms) in gam::gam, although you might need to do a little digging into the
source code for some of the details of the basis used. However, quite often
when people ask for the functional form it is only in order to get at some
other quantity, and there turns out to be  an easier way to get to it. What
were you plan to use the functional form for?

Simon