[R] software comparison

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Mon Apr 16 14:02:02 CEST 2007

Hello,

I just read this paper, and was surprised by:

"This study performs a comparison of the latest versions of nine
different statistical software packages using StRD. These packages are
SAS (9.1), SPSS (12.0), Excel (2003), Minitab (14.0), Stata (8.1), Splus
(6.2), R (1.9.1), JMP (5.0), and StatCrunch (3.0)."

For a paper published in 2007, and submitted in April 2005, this is
still surprising. If I my calculation is correct, in 2004, they would
have used R 2.2.x, or something,... not 1.9.1?

Anyway, does someone know if there is a chance 2.5.0 provides some
improvements in some of the "difficult cases" for R 1.9.1 (for instance,
improvement of the algorithms for calculating autocorrelation, ANOVA,
linear regression or non linear regression)?

Best,

Philippe Grosjean

  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Belgium
( ( ( ( (