[R] help comparing two median with R

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Apr 17 17:04:41 CEST 2007

Thomas Lumley wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Robert McFadden wrote:

The Mood test is so inefficient that its use is no longer recommended:

@Article{fri00sho,
   author =               {Freidlin, Boris and Gastwirth, Joseph L.},
   title =                {Should the median test be retired from
general use?},
   journal =      American Statistician,
   year =                 2000,
   volume =               54,
   number =               3,
   pages =                {161-164},
   annote =               {inefficiency of Mood median test}
}

The points that Thomas and Brian have made are certainly correct, if one
is truly interested in testing for differences in medians or means.  But
the Wilcoxon test provides a valid test of x > y more generally.  The
test is consonant with the Hodges-Lehmann estimator: the median of all
possible differences between an X and a Y.

Frank