[R] read.spss (package foreign) and SPSS 15.0 files

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Tue Apr 17 17:58:53 CEST 2007

--- Charilaos Skiadas <skiadas at hanover.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2007, at 10:41 AM, John Kane wrote:
> > --- Charilaos Skiadas <skiadas at hanover.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> It is not an "export" option, it is a "save as"
> >> option. I don't have
> >> a 14 to check, but on a 15 I just go to File ->
> Save
> >> As, and change
> >> the "Save as type" field to "Comma Delimited
> >> (.*.csv)". (I suppose
> >> tab delimited would be another option). Then
> there
> >> are two check-
> >> boxes below the window that allow a bit further
> >> customizing, one of
> >> them is about using value labels where defined
> >> instead of data values.
> >
> > I'm now back on a machine with SPSS 14.  No csv
> option
> > that I can see.  Perhaps an enhancement to v15.
> >>

> I don't have a 14, but I did check a 13 today and
> you are correct, no
> csv option is there, which in my opinion is quite
> unacceptable for a
> statistical package that is on its 13/14th version.
> But there was an
> option for "Excel 97 and ...", and that seemed to
> allow using value
> labels instead of the values (again you have to
> check the
> corresponding box). So perhaps that would be an
> option.

Not my problem at the moment but a colleague pointed
out that he had 750+ variables. Excel handles 256.

Actually my problem is now a SAS one where I can get a
clean csv export but lose the variable labels.  My
crude workaround was just to do a proc contents and
cut-and-paste the results.  A  pain but it worked.

I've got to figure out why I cannot get Hmisc to work!

Thanks for the suggestion.