[R] Runing R in a bash script

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Apr 18 16:36:03 CEST 2007

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Ulrik Stervbo wrote:
>
>> As I har problems installing the Cairo package, I went for Henriks solution
>> - and it works almost perfect. I would like to have been able to generate
>> transparent png.
>
> You cannot do transparency via postscript.
>
> I would suggest using pdf() and converting the output of that, which often
> works even better (and does have full transparency support).

Cairo also has full transparency support, both for png and pdf.

Ulrik, I presume the problem you ran into was the absence of the cairo
library dependency:

configure: error: Cannot find cairo.h! Please install cairo
(http://www.cairographics.org/) and/or set CAIRO_CFLAGS/LIBS
correspondingly.

which has it's own library dependencies as well. Most all Linux
distributions (I'm presuming you're running Linux) have ways to install
these dependencies easily: apt-get, rpm, etc.

Otherwise, if you had other problems installing Cairo, please let me
know and I can fix them.

Jeff