[R] importing excel-file

Hans-Peter gchappi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 19:09:17 CEST 2007

2007/4/18, Schmitt, Corinna <Corinna.Schmitt at igb.fraunhofer.de>:
> It is a quite stupid question but please help me. I am very confuced. I
> am able to import normal txt ant mat-files to R but unable to import
> .xls-file

Searching for Excel on e.g. http://www.r-project.org/search.html,
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/about.html or
http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php gives:
- RODBC package
- xlsReadWrite package
- gdata package
- rexcelpoi package
- ActiveX (RDCOMClient package, search for examples in the mailling list)
- read.table command to read .csv files

I'd take xlsReadWrite (but I am biased), RODBC is also good. ActiveX
if you have lower level know how. read.table if working with .csv
files is ok.

> I do not understand the online help. Can please anyone send me the
> corresponding command lines?

library(xlsReadWrite)
dat <- read.xls( <filename> )

details in ?read.xls

>The .xls-file is attached.

binary files will be dropped from the list

>In my file we
> use commas for the decimal format (example: 0,712), changes might be
> needed.

Don't know if this is relevant. Sorry.

--
Regards,