[R] help comparing two median with R

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 18 21:04:42 CEST 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Greg Snow wrote:

> For testing, the permutation test may be prefered to the bootstrap
> (though the bootstrap could be used for a confidence interval).
>
> I remember in grad school doing a project on comparing the efficiency of
> a permutation test on medians compared to the MannWhitney test, but I
> don't remember the specifics of when each was better.  Do any of the
> other participants in this discussion have any ideas on how the
> permutation tests compare to what else has been discussed?
>
> The MannWhitney test is actually a special case of the permutation test,
> but using the median permutation test is more intuitive to my mind.  The
> permutation test is actually testing the null hypothesis that the 2
> distributions are identical, but no assumptions about normality,
> skewness, shift hypotheses, etc..  Though the efficiency of the test
> statistic used would depend somewhat on the nature of the alternatives
> of interest (imagine 2 distributions with the same mean, but different
> medians, or same median, but different mean; a permutation test
> comparing means or medians would differ in the 2 cases).

I think the point is that one does not want to assume the two distributions
are identical: the null hypothesis is that they have the same median but
possibly different shapes (including spread).

You can set up bootstrap tests (see Davison & Hinkley, for example).
Cody Hamilton's CI is too crude: again see D&H or MASS for less crude
alternatives.  However, bootstrapping a median has its own peculiarities:
see the example in MASS and references there, including to Sheather's book.