[R] Gentleman and Ihaka , 2000 paper question

Leeds, Mark (IED) Mark.Leeds at morganstanley.com
Wed Apr 18 22:02:58 CEST 2007

In their paper, "Lexical Scope and Statistical Computing", the authors (
Gentleman and Ihaka ) go to great length explaining why R's use of
lexical scoping creates advantages when doing statistical computations.

If anyone has or is familiar with this paper, could they provide the
main program code for how the "newton" function would be called in their
example on page 500 of the paper.  The authors are extremely clear in
their writing and the paper is quite an eye opener for me but it seems
like lfun somehow needs to be initialized so that it "grabs" the
environment of "Rmklike".
I'm not sure how one would go about doing this so I am wondering what
the main program that calls "newton" would be
if there was one. Thanks.

Mark