[R] Problems in programming a simple likelihood

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Thu Apr 19 20:01:57 CEST 2007

Hi Deepankar,

Dimitris' code works just fine.  Your problem is that the output of optim
does not have a corresponding "summary" method.  Instead you should simply
type the name of the object returned by "optim" to look at the results.

> out <- optim(mu.start, mlogl, method = "CG", y = women$J, X = cbind(1,
women$M, women$S))
> out
$par
[1] -3.0612277 -1.4567141  0.3659251

$value
[1] 13.32251

$counts
function gradient
     357      101

$convergence
[1] 1

$message
NULL

Hope this helps,
Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu