[R] Problem installing packages

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Apr 20 03:57:11 CEST 2007

Deepankar,

On 19 April 2007 at 21:32, DEEPANKAR BASU wrote:
| Thanks Dirk, that worked.
|
| $ sudo apt-get install r-base-dev r-cran-tseries

Glad to be of help, and thanks for reporting back. Now that you have
r-base-dev and what it pulled it, your next attempts at installing from CRAN
(under sudo) should work.

Also,  'apt-cache search r-cran-' is one way to see the already-prepared
packages you wouldn't need to rebuild.

Lastly, be a little careful mixing 'update.packages()' from inside R with
dpkg and sudo --- the R package system doesn't really know about Debian and
packages it didn't install itself, so some care may avoid surprises. I am not
aware of anything really bad happening, but just be aware that you are mixing
two packaging systems.

Happy R'ing on Ubuntu,  Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison