[R] Matrix or grid conversion of spatial data

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Fri Apr 20 12:02:37 CEST 2007

Marco,

I've done something similar with spatial data. I defined the points as
SpatialPoints, the grid as SpatialGrid (using the "sp" package). Then
table(overlay(grid, points)) will give you the number of points inside
each gridcell.

library("sp")
points <- SpatialPoints(your.data.frame)
cellsize <- 1
cellcentre.offset <- bbox(points)[, 1]
coords.span <- diff(t(bbox(points)))
cells.dim <- ceiling(coords.span / cellsize)
grid <- SpatialGrid(GridTopology(cellcentre.offset, rep(cellsize,
nrow(bbox(points))), cells.dim))
in.cell <- overlay(grid, points)
table(in.cell)

Cheers,

Thierry

PS R-sig-geo is a better list to ask spatial releated questions.

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Reseach Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

Do not put your faith in what statistics say until you have carefully
considered what they do not say.  ~William W. Watt
A statistical analysis, properly conducted, is a delicate dissection of
uncertainties, a surgery of suppositions. ~M.J.Moroney