[R] Suggestions for statistical computing course

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Fri Apr 20 16:02:44 CEST 2007

> 2. I do most of my work in R using Emacs and ESS. That means that I
>    keep a file in an emacs window and I submit it to R one line at a
>    time or one region at a time, making corrections and iterating as
>    needed. When I am done, I just save the file with the last,
>    working, correct (hopefully!) version of my code. Is there a way of
>    doing something like that, or in the same spirit, without using
>    Emacs/ESS? What approach would you use to polish and save your code
>    in this case? For my course I will be working in a Windows
>    environment.
>
>    While I am looking for simple and effective solutions that do not
>    require installing emacs in our computer lab, the answer "you
>    should teach your students emacs/ess on top of R" is perfecly
>    acceptable.

TINN-R (http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/) could be an alternative for
Emacs. But hen you would still have to install it on each computer.

And there still is the build-in code editor.

Cheers,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Reseach Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

Do not put your faith in what statistics say until you have carefully
considered what they do not say.  ~William W. Watt
A statistical analysis, properly conducted, is a delicate dissection of
uncertainties, a surgery of suppositions. ~M.J.Moroney