[R] Opinion on R plots: connecting X and Y

Stephen Tucker brown_emu at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 07:25:21 CEST 2007

Edward Tufte seems to have some opinions on this topic.

In The Visual Display of Quantitative Information (Chapter 6: Data-Ink
Maximization and Graphical Design -> Redesign of the Scatterplot), he
presents several alternatives

(1) "non-data-bearing frame" in conventional scatterplots (equivalent to R's
bty="l"), which he argues is the common but less informative method.

(2) a little removal of ink from (1) can change axes to display the range of
the data ("range-frame").

(3) or, with slight modification of (2), fivenum().

(4) or even "dot-dash-plots" in which marginal frequency distribution are
displayed as the axis using dots and dashes.

I don't know that bty="n" with xaxs,yaxs equal to "i" or "r" meets any of
these criteria (and bty="l" is apparently less informative than his other
suggestions)...