[R] Package installed, functional but not available

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 16:28:29 CEST 2007

If you read the help page it says

      Summarize information about installed packages and packages
      available at various repositories, and automatically upgrade
      outdated packages.
    avail: a data frame with columns as the _matrix_ returned by
           'available.packages' plus '"Status"', a factor with levels
           'c("installed", "not installed", "unavailable")'..

so this is 'available' as in 'available.packages' (qv).

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Fernando Mayer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when I run packageStatus(), I get the following results:
>
> > packageStatus()
> Number of installed packages:
>
>                             ok upgrade unavailable
>   /home/fernando/my_library 38       0           1
>   /usr/local/lib/R/library  28       0           0
>
> Number of available packages (each package/bundle counted only once):
>
>                                          installed not installed
>   http://cran-r.c3sl.ufpr.br/src/contrib        51           957
>
> i.e., there is an unavailable package in my personal library. With,
>
> > summary(packageStatus())
>
> I see that the unavailable package is one that I have done and
> installed via R CMD INSTALL. Although it says it is unavailable, I can
> load the package with library() and use its functions in the usual way.
>
> There is no problem at all here since I can use the functions. I was
> just curious about what really means this "unavailable"
> classification. My guess is that this a package that is not on CRAN (?).

No, not on the repositories you specified.