[R] Bug in R 2.4.1 ?

Sebastian Weber sebastian.weber at physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Apr 23 16:56:51 CEST 2007

Hello everybody,

I'm using hdf5 files to store results from intermediate calculations.
These are usually part of a list, called "res". As I want the hdf-files
to contain all the members of res in its top "directory", I used to do

attach(res)
do.call("hdf5save", args=c(fileout=file.path(dir, ofile),
        as.list(names(res))))
detach(res)

which did what I wanted (R version 2.3.1 under ubuntu edgy). Since the
upgrade to ubuntu feisty fawn which ships with R 2.4.1, the code above
causes a crash:

 *** caught segfault ***
address 0x11, cause 'memory not mapped'

Traceback:
 1: .External("do_hdf5save", call, sys.frame(sys.parent()),
fileout,     ..., PACKAGE = "hdf5")
 2: hdf5save(fileout =
"tex/ABpattern_pub/data/knnTest/gTest_annAB.1.statsAll.hdf5",
"newman", "hist", "graphProp", "graphBins")
 3: do.call("hdf5save", args = c(fileout = file.path(dir, ofile),
as.list(names(res))))
 4: avgGraphData(dir = "tex/ABpattern_pub/data/knnTest")

Any ideas on how to fix this or what is wrong? To me it seems to be a
bug introduced in R 2.4.1.

Greetings,

Sebastian