[R] regarding 3d Bar Plot

rolf at math.unb.ca rolf at math.unb.ca
Tue Apr 24 15:38:19 CEST 2007

gyadav at ccilindia.co.in wrote:

> I have data in a two dimensional table. each row of the data adds
> upto 100 ( hence they are percentages ).  it can be interpreted as
> like this A - I are the matches and  P - X are the players. Thus
> Player P scored 20% of the runs during this season in Match C, 60% in
> Match D and remaining 20% in Match G.
>
> I want to plot 3-d bar plot, where X axis have players, Y axis have
> Matches and Z axis as the percentage(0 - 100%) Please help me in this
> regards.

         <snip>

	Many years ago I picked up from the snews mailing list a
	suite of functions for plotting 2D barplots (barplots with 2D
	bases) written by a chap named Colin Goodall, from (at that
	time) the University of Bristol and/or from Penn State.

	I never actually did anything with this suite until
	recently.  Seeing no replies to the enquiry about 3D
	histograms,  I thought I'd try to get Goodal's code running
	in R to see if it might solve guarav's problem.

	The trouble is, all the guts of the procedure, *including*
	the plotting are done from within Fortran.  The actual
	plotting seems to be done through a call to a subroutine
	``segmtz'' which is a piece of Splus software that does not
	exist in R.

	Is there an equivalent subroutine in R that could be called?
	I dug around a bit but couldn't figure out what was going
	on.  The function segments() simply calls
	.Internal(segments(....

	I looked around a bit for corresponding C or Fortran code but
	obviously didn't know how to look properly.

	I think that the Fortran code could be translated into raw R
	and the call to segmtz changed to a call to segments() ---
	but this would seem to be a lot of work.

	Can anyone suggest a reasonably simple way of replacing the
	call to segmtz in the Fortran?

                                        cheers,

                                                Rolf Turner
                                                rolf at math.unb.ca