[R] Problem installing Rmpi with lam on SGI SLES9

Hendrik Fuß fuss-h at ulster.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 12:34:21 CEST 2007

On 24/04/07, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Hendrik Fuß wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying here to install Rmpi on an SGI IA-64 machine with 64
> > processors, running SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, R 2.4.0 and
> > lam-mpi 7.1.3. While I've read of similar problems on this list, I
> > think I've got an entirely new set of error messages to contribute
> > (see below). I'm not sure what the actual error is and what the @gprel
> > relocation message is about. Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> I don't know for sure, but on many 64-bit OSes you cannot link code from
> static libraries into dynamic shared libraries, and that seems to be the
> case with ia64 Linux.  Almost certainly you need to re-compile LAM with
> -fPIC flags.

Yes, thanks a million, this solved the problem.

While Rmpi now works, there is another issue connected with this one:
I'm trying to use the papply package. However, when I do:

> library(papply)
> papply(list(1:10, 1:15, 1:20), sum)
        1 slaves are spawned successfully. 0 failed.
master (rank 0, comm 1) of size 2 is running on: behemoth
slave1 (rank 1, comm 1) of size 2 is running on: behemoth
[1] "Running serial version of papply\n"

Papply only spawns one slave and then decides to run the serial
version instead. I'm not sure how to tell it to use all the 64
processors available.

Hendrik

--
Hendrik Fuß
PhD student

University of Ulster, School of Biomedical Sciences
Cromore Road, Coleraine, BT52 1SA, Northern Ireland