[R] regarding 3d Bar Plot

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 15:26:26 CEST 2007

> I am restating the problem and thanks you for sending me such a good
> function histogram in 3d. Thanks for that but i think my problem has been
> misinterpreted. I just wanted a simple 3d bar Plot. Although I have not
> written anything for R but i will surely like to contribute to R and if i
> can assist someone in writing then it would be a great help to me.
>
> Problem was :-)
>
> I have data in a two dimensional table. each row of the data adds upto 100
>
> ( hence they are percentages ).
> it can be interpreted as like this A - I are the matches and  P - X are
> the players. Thus Player P scored 20% of the runs during this season in
> Match C, 60% in Match D and remaining 20% in Match G.
>
> I want to plot 3-d bar plot, where X axis have players, Y axis have
> Matches and Z axis as the percentage(0 - 100%)
> Please help me in this regards. (Please note on my X and Y axes Numbers
> are not there instead alphabets)

I suggest that you don't use a 3d bar chart.  3d bar charts are
generally hard to interpret for two reasons: large bars will obscure
small bars behind them, and it is very difficult to judge the true
length of the bars. I suggest you try creating a series of 2d bar
charts instead - you are far more likely to be able to interpret them
easily.

For this data, you might also want to look into fluctuation diagrams.

Hadley