[R] spatial/ patches and gaps/ SADIE

Sam McClatchie Sam.McClatchie at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 26 17:33:58 CEST 2007

System:
Linux kernel 2.6.15 Ubuntu dapper
R version 2.4.1
ESS on Emacs 21.4.1
-------------------------
Colleagues

I have some spatial patterns of sardine eggs (presence /absence) over 50
years (270 surveys) and I'd like to quantify the patches and gaps to
determine how many patches (i.e. spawning areas) there were before the
fishery collapse (1951-1965) and during recovery (post 1985). The
sampling domain runs from San Francisco to the Mexican border and out
beyond the continental shelf. The grid spacing is  fairly sparse (30 to
70 km), and irregular (closer nearshore than offshore)(see CalCOFI web
pages if you are interested: <http://www.calcofi.org/>).

I thought that SADIE
<http://www.rothamsted.ac.uk/pie/sadie/SADIE_home_page_1.htm> might be
useful, and am wondering if anyone has implemented this analysis method
in R? I have failed to find any implementation on the R-site search,
through google, or looking at the R packages browse by topic page.

Best fishes

Sam

--
Sam McClatchie,