[R] Randomising matrices

Finny Kuruvilla kuruvill at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 27 14:00:56 CEST 2007

Hi Nick,

This way isn't the most elegant but works well, especially if the
matrices aren't too large:

# This function works on 2x2 arrays, randomizing them, but
# preserving row and column totals
shuffle_matrix <- function(x) {
   nrow = dim(x)[1]
   ncol = dim(x)[2]
   rmargins <- apply(x,1,sum)
   cmargins <- apply(x,2,sum)

   while(1) {
     shuffled <- array(sample(x,length(x),replace=TRUE),dim=c(nrow,ncol))
     if(all(apply(shuffled,1,sum) == rmargins)) {
       if(all(apply(shuffled,2,sum) == cmargins)) {
         break
       }
     }
   }
   shuffled
}

Example:

> a=array(sample(c(0,1),10,replace=TRUE),dim=c(5,2))
      [,1] [,2]
[1,]    0    1
[2,]    1    1
[3,]    0    1
[4,]    0    1
[5,]    1    0
> shuffle_matrix(a)
      [,1] [,2]
[1,]    0    1
[2,]    1    1
[3,]    1    0
[4,]    0    1
[5,]    0    1

Best,
Finny Kuruvilla

Finny Kuruvilla, MD, PhD
Harvard Medical School Fellowship Program in Transfusion Medicine
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
Homepage: http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~kuruvill/home/