[R] acf and pacf plot

Eric Thompson ericthompso at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 22:56:33 CEST 2007

The lines indicate the confidence interval (95% by default). I think
you mean that it is not documented in help(acf), but it directs you to
plot.acf in the "See Also" secion.

>From ?plot.acf:

Note:

     The confidence interval plotted in 'plot.acf' is based on an
     _uncorrelated_ series and should be treated with appropriate
     caution.  Using 'ci.type = "ma"' may be less potentially
     misleading.

also see the description of the ci and ci.type arguments. As far as
HOW they are calculated, I believe that the default is

qnorm(c(0.025, 0.975))/sqrt(n)

And yes, I think that they are very important.

Hope that helps.

Eric