[R] RWinEdt and Windows Vista

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Sat Apr 28 18:50:23 CEST 2007

Dimitri:

Several of us early Vista users have encountered difficulties that
ultimately were related to Vista's treating only the Administrator as having
permission to make some changes.  Even if you are the only user, you still
do not have administrative privileges by default.  (I think this is a good
thing since it diminishes accidental or malicious changes).

With R the problem surfaces when trying to install packages.  The problem is
easily mitigated by running R as the administrator and installing the
packages or updates.  (Subsequent R sessions can be run by double clicking
on the icon, as usual.)  To do that, right-click on the program's icon and
choose "Run as administrator."  Perhaps this will solve your RWinEdt
problems as well.

Best wishes!

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com